CAR WINTERIZATION IN FORT WASHINGTON, MD
Get your vehicle ready for Winter in Fort Washington, MD!
Is your car ready for winter weather?
Here at Fort Washington Tire Pros & Auto Center in Fort Washington, MD, one of our biggest concerns is your safety, especially as road conditions start to change. We want to help you be prepared with some winter car care tips. However, before you do anything else, read your owner’s manual and follow the manufacturer’s recommended service schedules.
- Install winter wipers – Winter wipers are heavier wipers with a special rubber that keeps ice from collecting on them.
- Mount winter tires – At the very least, check your tire tread depth to ensure maximum grip during snowy conditions. But, ideally, consider using winter tires which are designed to help you drive in rough conditions. You want to make sure you are checking your tire pressure weekly as the temperature drops and don’t forget to check your spare tire too!
- Get in top running condition – Schedule a tune-up before winter sets in. Colder temperatures can worsen existing problems with your vehicle. Problems such as pings, hard starts, diminished power, sluggish performance, and rough driving.
- Be prepared – Are you ready for the worst-case scenario of being stranded? It’s a scary thought but an easy scenario to prepare for. Take time to stock your car with the essentials for emergencies; such as jumper cables, flashlights, bottled water, blankets, non-perishable snacks, ice scrapers, a snow brush, and flares.
- Put the brakes on – Get your brakes checked. As temperature drops and winter sets in, you want to make sure your most important safety item is in good condition. Having poor brakes can make a huge difference when having to stop in snow or sludge.
- Check your battery – Drops in temperature can be rough on your battery. Have your battery and charging system checked to make sure it operates at optimal performance levels.
- Check your fluids – Routine fluid changes and checks for your transmission, anti-freeze, etc. will prevent costly repairs down the road.
- Change your oil – Don’t forget to get your oil and oil filter changed as recommended by your owner’s manual. This has been shown to be the most neglected service done for a vehicle, but it is one of the most important to protect your engine.
- Finally, before getting behind the wheel in winter make sure you allow enough time to get where you need to go safely, slow down, allow more stopping distance since snow and ice make it more difficult to stop and watch the weather so you can plan accordingly for any treacherous weather that may be headed to your area. If the roads are too dangerous, don't risk an accident! If the roads are too dangerous, don't risk an accident!
Prepare your vehicle for winter weather at Fort Washington Tire Pros & Auto Center
The staff at Fort Washington Tire Pros & Auto Center wants to make sure that our customers, along with their family and friends, stay safe during the upcoming winter months. Please let us know if you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment today!